Scam Alert: Watch for Fake Checks
Protect Yourself Against Fake Check Scams
Scams are rampant, and criminals are always devising ways to separate you from your money. That’s why it’s important to keep up to date on the latest dangers.
- Pay special attention to check fraud.
- Common scams involve mailing a fake check to a victim.
- Often the sender tells you that you’ve won a sweepstakes or lottery but that to collect your winnings you need to pay taxes or a processing fee to get your money.
- You deposit the money and wire the fee. You receive nothing, and you can’t track down the scammer or reverse the wire transfer.
- Remember that if it’s too good to be true, it probably is a scam. If you’re ever in doubt about whether a check is legitimate, check with Liberty Bank before you deposit it.
Liberty’s got your back
Another way to stay up to date on scams is by visiting Liberty Bank’s Security Center https://www.libertybank.com/security-center where you can find out about the systems we have in place to protect you. You also can learn about the latest scams and current trends in fraud and identity theft and how to keep your money and private information safe.
- Better Business Bureau — https://www.bbb.org/en/us/article/newsreleases/18367-dont-cash-that-check-better-business-bureau-studyshows-how-fake-check-scams-bait-consumers
- Federal Trade Commission — https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/features/scam-alerts