COVID-19 Readiness & Resources
(last updated 9/18/2020)
At Liberty Bank for Savings, the well-being of our customers and employees is our highest priority. We are closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation and are following guidance from the Center for Disease Control (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO), and other health authorities to keep everyone safe.
We have a tested business continuity plan that ensures that our operations run effectively in a crisis. A lot has happened since our founding over 120 years ago. We’re proud that through smart, conservative management, we’ve been able to weather tough times --two world wars, a Depression, and a Recession-- and help our neighbors do the same.
We are in an extraordinary moment but this crisis will eventually pass. We are confident that through the resilience and ingenuity of our community, we’ll get through this together as we’ve done many times in the past.
William J. Smigiel
President & CEO
The IRS has created a web page with helpful information regarding Economic Impact Payments (EIP) including the ability to:
- Check if you are eligible for an EIP
- Check your payment status
- Confirm your payment type, i.e. direct deposit or check
- Enter your bank account information for direct deposit if the IRS doesn't have your direct deposit information and the payment hasn't been sent
An EIP Information Center was also created with Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) regarding eligibility, payments, payment status, bank account information and error messages.
Retirement Plan Relief Measures
The enactment of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act provides individuals with retirement plans several options to access and manage their accounts including:
- Individuals may take up to $100,000 as a coronavirus-related distribution that is not subject to the IRS' 10% early distribution penalty.
- Distribution must be made on or after January 1, 2020 and before December 31, 2020.
- Applies to individuals, their spouses or dependents who are diagnosed with SARS-CoV-2 or COVID-19 using a CDC-approved test.
- Required minimum distributions (RMD) are temporarily waived for 2020.
- Applies to individuals age 701/2 and older and those with inherited IRAs.
- If you already took your RMD in 2020, you may be able to rollover the distributed RMD provided it is within 60 days of receiving the distribution and you have not completed a rollover within the past 365 days. To ease the tax burden, under the Cares Act you have up to three years to pay taxes on the withdrawal. You can repay all or a portion of the distribution within three years, and the repayments will not be counted towards the annual contribution limits.*
*Customers should consult with a licensed tax professional to obtain information regarding their options, eligibility and tax consequences prior to completing a transaction.
We are open for business and ready to serve you. Thanks in advance for continuing to observe social distancing. We also strongly recommend washing your hands or using hand sanitizer after conducting any in-person transactions at our branches or ATMs.
When possible, we encourage you to use the following no-contact channels:
- Online Banking or Mobile Banking, including Bill Pay and Mobile Deposit. If you are new to Online Banking, we encourage you to sign up right away as it will take 5-7 days to receive your PIN.
- Night Deposit Drop, which is available at all branches.
- Drive-Up and Walk-Up ATMs available at some branch locations.
- Call our friendly customer service team at 877.305.7070
We have increased the Mobile Deposit limit and ATM withdrawal amount given the increased usage of those channels.
We have implemented the following preventative measures:
- We have established guidance for all our team members on how to protect against transmission of the virus, including handwashing best practices.
- In addition to our regular cleaning, we have contracted with a cleaning service for weekly deep cleanings at each office.
- Hand sanitizer, disinfecting wipes and spray are being used at all locations as an extra safety precaution.
- Sneeze guards and social distancing tape lines have been installed at all branches.
- We are limiting the number of people allowed in the branch at any one time. We ask customers to please be patient when they are asked to wait outside until the person ahead of them completes their transactions, and please dress appropriately for the weather.
- In accordance with state policy, effective May 1st face coverings are required in our facilities at all times to help ensure customer and staff safety.
Keeping Your Money Safe
Beware of new scams related to coronavirus (COVID-19). To learn more, visit the Federal Trade Commission’s (FTC) page dedicated to coronavirus-related scams or check out our recent blog posts on the topic:
Also keep in mind deposits held at Liberty are protected by the FDIC up to at least $250,000. Since 1933, no depositor has ever lost a penny of FDIC-insured funds. For more details visit, the FDIC’s Coronavirus Frequently Asked Questions.